MA PhD AcSS FRSA
The Kairos Foundation, 2010-current
Vice-Chair, International Board
- Chair of Fundraising Committee
- Mentor for Power of Purpose, Self-Esteem Enhancement, and the Power of Connection personal development courses
British Red Cross, 2007-current
Volunteer: President, Nottinghamshire Branch 2007-2013
- Member, Reference Group for the EC-funded Positive Images programme
- Member, UK Learning Organisation Steering Group
- Chair, Research Advisory Group
- Chair, Research Ethics Committee
- Evaluator and Evaluation Trainer
fig one solutions, 2005-current
Expert Evaluator, for the European Commission's 7th Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development
Social Science Consultant to the Royal Academy of Engineering's working group on Privacy and Surveillance, 2005-2009
Evidence to the House of Lords Select Committee on the Constitution, and the Home Affairs Select Committee, highlighting significant risks to privacy, identity and security, 2008
Member of The Projectionist Advisory Group for the Y Touring Theatre Co
University of Nottingham, 2005-current
- Associate, Institute for Science and Society
- Supervision of research students in public policy, global health partnerships, mental health rights, science and society, governance, risk and energy policy
Professor of Politics, University of Nottingham,1996-2005
- Head of School; Member, School Management Group
- Author/Editor of four books, 18 articles, 20 chapters, and four reports
- Chair, University Teaching Quality Audit Committee
- Specialisms: privacy, knowledge translation, health inequalities, equal opportunities, diversity, public policy, biorisk, cctv
Universities of East Anglia and Southampton, 1981-9
- Lecturer, rising to Senior Lecturer in Politics
Honours and Distinctions
- Academician of the Social Sciences, 2002-
- Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts, 2001-
Academy of Social Sciences
Founder Chair of the Council: 1999-2005
Responsible for implementing the Academy's first 5-Year Strategic Plan
Executive responsibility for budgets, accounts and human resources
Promoted the Academy to a wide range of audiences
Chaired the Nominations Committee for the election of Academicians
Initiated the Commission on the Future of the Social Sciences
Consulted with members of government, its departments, agencies and officers
Edited the Social Science Bulletin
Political Studies Association of the UK
- Life Vice-President: 2002-
- Chair of the Executive Committee: 1996-99
- Member of the Executive: 1990-96
- Executive Director (Part-time): 1985-90
Association of Learned Societies in the Social Sciences (ALSISS)
- Chair of Executive Committee: 1997-01
European Thematic Network of Political Science, 1997-1999
- Founder Member
Other Voluntary Service
- Southampton Council for Community Service, 1993-96
- Member, and then Chair of Council
- Advisory Panel, Nuffield Foundation’s project on University Research Ethics Committees, 2003-4
- For the Economic and Social Research Council, 2000-05
- Member of the Research College
- Consultancy Reports to ESRC Board on Research Strategy, and on New Directions
- Evaluator for 2 Priority Themes
- Political commentary for BBC, ITV, Channel 4, ABC and NBC television and radio
University of East Anglia, 1979-85
- PhD in Politics
Adelaide University, 1973-78
- M Arts in Politics, by dissertation
- B Arts, (Hons), Politics, First Class
- B Arts, Politics and Economics
Selected Reports, Consultations, Publications & Conference Papers
Reports and Consultations
Dilemmas of Privacy and Surveillance: Challenges of Technological Change, (co-author), Royal Academy of Engineering, London, March 2007, 60 pp.
Future Priorities for the Economic and Social Research Council: Recommendations and Observations of the Members of the Academy of Social Sciences. I Forbes, D Abrams, and C Roberts, 2004, Academy of Social Sciences, London, 18pp.
A Road Map of International Social Science. I Forbes and D Abrams, 2003, Academy of Social Sciences, London, 30 pp.
Cutting Edge Social Science. I Forbes, 2003, Consultation Report for the ESRC, Academy of Social Sciences, London, 36 pp.
Measure for Measure: A Comparative Analysis of Measures to Combat Racial Discrimination in the Member Countries of the European Community. I Forbes and G Mead, Equal Opportunities Studies Group & the Employment Department, Research Series No 1, 1992, 82pp.
Health Inequalities: Poverty and Policy, ed I Forbes, Academy of Learned Societies for the Social Sciences, 2000, 70 pages.
International Relations, Political Theory and the Ethics of Intervention, ed I Forbes and M Hoffman, Macmillan, 1993, 249p.
Marx and the New Individual, Unwin Hyman, June 1990, 247 pages.
Politics and Human Nature, ed I Forbes and S Smith, Pinter, 1983, 198 pages.
Articles and chapters
‘States of Uncertainty: Governing the Empire of Biotechnology’, New Genetics and Society, 25/1, April 2006, pp 69-88.
‘International Social Science Research: Craft Industry or Baby Behemoth?’ (with D Abrams) International Social Science Journal, Vol 56, Issue 180, June 2004, pp 227-244.
‘Making a Crisis out of a Drama: The Political Analysis of the BSE Episode in the UK, Political Studies, Vol 52/2, June 2004, pp 342-357.
‘Perceptions of Cutting Edge Research in UK Social Science’, in Innovation: European Journal of Social Science Research, Sept 2003, pp 271-292.
‘The Political Meanings of the Equal Opportunities Project’, in The Changing Politics of Gender Equality in Britain, ed E Breitenbach, A Brown, F Mackay and J Webb (London: Palgrave 2002), pp 20-44.
‘Debating the Evidence for Policy Action’, in Health Inequalities: Poverty and Policy, ed I Forbes, Academy of Learned Societies for the Social Sciences, 2000, pp 1-12.
‘The privatisation of equality policy in the British employment market for women’ in Gardiner, F. ed. Sex Equality Policy in Western Europe (London: Routledge, 1997), pp 161-179.
Forbes, I. ‘British Sex Equality Policy’ Parliamentary Affairs (1996) 49:1 143-60; also published in Lovenduski, J. and Norris, P. Women in Politics (Oxford: University Press, 1996) 145-62.
‘Institutionalising Anti-Discrimination in Europe’, in Racism, Ethnicity and Politics in Contemporary Europe, ed E Hargreaves and J Leaman, Edward Elgar, 1995, pp 192-209.
‘Conservative, Liberal and Radical Critiques of Equal Opportunity’, in Equality Politics and Gender, E Meehan and S Sevenhuijsen (eds), Sage, 1991, pp 17-35.
‘Unequal Partners: The Implementation of Equal Opportunities Policies in Western Europe’, Public Administration, Vol 67 Spring 1989, pp 19-38.
Recent Conference Papers
Breeding better stoves: a participatory approach to provide sustainable energy solutions, UK-India Workshop, Nottingham, September 2009 (with M Clifford, S Raman, R Wilson, S Pickering, H Burnham-Slipper, J Chaney, T Agbaje, E Griffiths, G Bandak, H Franklin & C Dawkes).
Humanitarian Education: Making a Universal Principle Universally Practical, World Public Forum, ‘Dialogue of Civilizations’, Rhodes, October 2008.CCTV, Trust & Reciprocity, Y Touring Theatre Company, London, June 2007.
Dilemmas of Digital Identity, Digital Identity Forum, London, November 2007.
Dilemmas of Privacy & Surveillance,Westminster Forum, London, July 2007.